The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz book review (spoiler free)

Paige Kelly is used to weird--in fact, she probably corners the market on weird, considering that her best friend, Dottie, has been dead since the 1950s. But when a fire demon attacks Paige in detention, she has to admit that things have gotten out of her league. Luckily, the cute new boy in school, Logan Bradley, is a practiced demon slayer-and he isn't fazed by Paige's propensity to chat with the dead. Suddenly, Paige is smack in the middle of a centuries-old battle between warlocks and demons, learning to fight with a magic sword so that she can defend herself. And if she makes one wrong move, she'll be pulled into the Dark World, an alternate version of our world that's overrun by demons-and she might never make it home.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery



Rate:
4 out of 5 stars
★★★★ 



Review:
I went into this book expecting something completely different than what I actually got in the end and I’m am extremely grateful for that. The summary heavily focuses on the fact the main character’s best friend is a ghost, which led me to believe this would be a ghost-heavy novel. On the contrary, the book involved merely two ghosts. It did however, involve many demons. These demons were intricately developed antagonists, each having different looks, names, and even blood colors, that Paige, the main character, had to face with the help of shy but talented demomslayer Logan.
  The whole idea of demons and demonslayers reminded me quite a lot of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, though I think I may have like The Dark World a bit more, seeing as Paige and Logan’s romance developed slowly and was more of a background plot point. I also really enjoyed how the “Dark World” the demons were from was well explained and I had a clear image in my head of it.
  I even cried a bit towards the end of this book during a particular scene between Logan and Paige. Overall, I felt it was a well-executed story complexly woven with world building and romance and I will definitely be picking up the sequel when it comes out.


Reviewer:
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate it (: