Author Interview: J.D. Netto - author of The Whispers of the Fallen

We had the pleasure to interview author of The Whispers of the Fallen J.D. Netto!


What inspired you to write?
First I would like to thank Fandom Monthly Magazine for this opportunity. 
When it comes to my writing, many things inspire me. 
Sometimes the way people behave around me, a song that is played, or even the rain outside gives me ideas to write. We can find inspiration in the most ordinary things and turn them into something remarkable.

While you were growing up, were you good at English?
I lived in Brazil until the age of eleven. Ever since I can remember, the English language has always fascinated me.
I used to take private English classes until I moved to the U.S. It took me about a year and half to fully master the language.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I am very descriptive. Before I was ever an author, I was an artist. I taught myself how to draw, and that particular skill helps me in my writing. I see the words as my "drawing kit" and use them to the best of my ability to describe what I see in my mind.

What book (s) has influenced your life the most?
I am a Tolkine fan. His works have always had a huge influence on me since I was young. There is also a book called The Shack by William Paul Young. It is a life-changing story that I recommend everyone to read.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
The day I discovered books could be written, I felt like writing one. My first books were about dinosaurs and knights. After the book was completed, I would sketch out all the scenes into a comic book. I started to take writing seriously at the age of 17.

What exactly is your editing process?
I write down whatever comes to mind first. After everything is done, I go back and re-read. During that process, I elaborate on the scenes and chapters to their full potential. Later on, I sent my manuscript to my editor to do the final changes.

Are there any authors that inspire the stories that you write?
I would not say they inspire the stories I write, but they inspire me in my career. J.K.Rowling's story is a great inspiration to me. One of the most amazing series in the world was turned down fifteen times before it was ever published! That is very encouraging to any author. C.S.Lewis is one of my role models as well. He was one of the greatest thinkers of the twentieth century and became a prominent voice during his time.

What are you currently reading?
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

Is there anything in your book The Whispers of the Fallen that comes from your own life?
Most definitely. My characters are inspired by my family and friends. Often times, while working on a particular scene, I think how my friends would react or behave. There are moments in my novels that are allegoeries to some of my past experiences.

Do you ever experience writer's block?
Yes, I do. Whenever that happens, I need to walk away from my desk, get a latte, and go some place else. Sometimes all the mind needs is a new place to get inspired.

Interviewer: Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate it (: